National workshop on
Web based Open Source Integrated Library
25-26 March 2017
The libraries across the world at this time are increasingly adopting many open source tools for all operations and services. Koha is considered as highly sophisticated open source web-based integrated library management software with a SOL database backend and accessible via z39.50 or SRU. The user interface is configurable and adaptableand can be translated into many languages. This National Workshop will familiarize the participants with the practical knowledge of Koha, web-based open source integrated library management software. The workshop will highlight and aware the participants in better understanding of benefits and best practices of Koha for library automation. The core objective of the workshop is to provide with adequate hands-on training to the library professionals for enabling them to initiate automation of their libraries by adopting Koha software.
KOHA is an open-source Integrated Library Management System that includes modules for circulation, cataloguing, acquisitions, serials, patron management, branch relationships, etc. It is built using internationally accepted library standards and protocols (such as MARC21, 239.50, etc.) which ensure interoperability between KOHA and other systems. More details about KOHA can be found at http://kohacommunity.org. Koha has most of the features that would be expected in an ILS, including:
- Web 2.0 facilities like tagging, comment, Social sharing and RSS feeds
- Union catalogue facility
- Customizable search
- Circulation and borrower management
- Full acquisitions system including budgets and pricing information Ability to cope with any number of branches, patrons, patron categories, item categories, items, currencies and other data
- Reading lists for members
- UNICODE and library standards compliant
- Export/import and backup/restoration facilities
Scope of The Workshop
The workshop will cover tutorial/demonstrations on following topics:
- Basics of Linux Operating System
- Installation and configuration of Koha
- Customization of all modules of Koha including Acquisition, Cataloguing, Circulation, OPAC, Membership Management, System Administration and Serial Control
- MARC 21 Bibliographic format based cataloguing along with standardization of data entry activities
- Acquaintance with Branches, Patrons, Patron Categories, Item Categories, Budget, Vender, Currencies and other types of data
- Generation of customized reports, labels and ID Card
A total of 30 participants will be allowed for registration, strictly on first-cum-first-served basis.
Registration fee for participation is Rs.1000/-.
The fee covers workshop kit, course materials, lunch and tea.
The Registration Fee may be sent in the shape of Demand Draft in favour of Director, National Seminar, Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University, payable at SBI, Jyoti Vihar, (code: 6672). The Fee can also be transferred online to SBI Ac No. 32183686820 under information to the Director.
The last date of submission of Registration form is 20th March 2017.